The history of Międzyrzecz is over 1000 years old. Bishop Thietmar mentioned it in the Chronicle in 1005 as the place of martyrdom of five Benedictines recognized as the first Polish martyrs. Until the partitions, Międzyrzecz was the largest city and the most important watchtower in the western borders of the Commonwealth. A peaceful road leads through forests and vast fields to Bledzewa. Its history for 700 years was associated with the Cistercian Abbey. In the mid-nineteenth century, Prussian authorities ordered the demolition of the monastery, and most of the houses in the city were built from the materials obtained from the destruction.